The home of Dundee Utd since 1909 the ground has improved quite a lot over recent years with the construction of two new stands in the 90's .One of these is the impressive two- tiered George Fox stand running along one side of the pitch,this stand has a large lower tier and smaller top tier it opened in 1992 and is named after a former Chairman of the club.On the other side is the West Stand affectionately know as the Shed by fans is a former terrace with seating now fitted to it .Dundee Utds ground is only 200 yards from their rivals Dundee's Dens park making them the closest two grounds together in Britain
Did hear a few complaints regarding the cashless canteen. Hopefully just teething problems. Canteen in the George Fox upper is dishing up hot drinks that are far too hot. Hope something is done before someone gets scalded.
Tannadice is an all-seater stadium and has been so since 1994. The various stands are as follows:
The Jerry Kerr Stand: Originally built in 1962, it was the first cantilevered stand at a football ground in Scotland and only the third in the UK (after Sheffield Wednesday and Scunthorpe). Particularly notable for its unusual L-shaped construction, the stand runs from the halfway line on the south (Tannadice Street) side of the pitch, bending around the ground's south east corner, to end slightly along the east goal-line. The only seated accommodation at the ground prior to the post-Taylor Report redevelopment, it was known simply as the Main Stand until 2003, when it was renamed in honour of Jerry Kerr, the manager who had overseen its construction. The development of other parts of Tannadice has meant that this stand is now normally reserved for away supporters. The Jim McLean Fair Play Stand: The most recent addition to the stadium, opened in 1997. Although separately named, it is effectively an extension of the old Main Stand to cover the entirety of the ground's south side. The name derives from the Fair Play Enclosure, a small enclosed terrace which previously occupied this corner of Tannadice, and itself named for the award given to United and their fans by FIFA following the club's run to the 1987 UEFA Cup Final. This stand is also reserved for visiting supporters. It was renamed after the club's most successful manager Jim McLean in 2011. The West Stand: Invariably referred to by its historic nickname, The Shed, it retains its original roof construction dating from 1957; between then and 1980, it was the only covered standing area at Tannadice, therefore becoming the most popular and atmospheric part of the ground. Since 1994, seats have been installed on the original terracing, parts of which are still visible at the corners. With season ticket holders now accommodated in the more modern parts of the stadium, the Shed can be allocated to either home or away supporters as demand dictates. The George Fox Stand: Named after a long serving club director, this two-tier stand was built in 1991–92 along the north side of the ground and was the first phase in the conversion of Tannadice to meet all-seater requirements. It is allocated to home supporters. The Eddie Thompson Stand: Opened in 1994 as the East Stand, and with a similar design to the adjacent George Fox Stand, it also has two tiers of seating. The East Stand now houses the loudest and most passionate elements of the United support, whereas George Fox patrons have the reputation of being somewhat more restrained in their behaviour. As such, this end of Tannadice is the spiritual heir of the old "Shed". In March 2008, the stand was renamed after the then terminally ill club chairman, Eddie Thompson.