Very welcoming and accommodating for away fans that are hear to watch their team play across river rivals Nottingham Forest. Notts County open up their bar for fans to use. Have been 3 times now and has been excellent each time. Really looking forward to watching a match here at some point. Proper club full of history in a brilliant city
A pre season game so quite laid back, a lot of police and steward's but no issues,a good ground for division 2 ,(welcome back) a good view, leg room ok ,not a lot of toilets is the only criticism, but needed as there are lot's of places to get a good pint near by
A great atmosphere today, great display, then with Wrexham tripping up late on the club on top of the league too. A sad day in the backroom but the best response with a great win. This is how football should be, a lovely spring day well behaved support with a family feel about it, fans who actually sing...and you could even buy a ticket on the day. What's not to like. From where the club once was optimism is back!
Decent enough little ground with good social club facilities.
I found parking near it difficult though.
But it was fan friendly and thankfully the away fans made an atmosphere as the home end was a tad quiet (& empty)
Avoid the match day programme though as its poor for the money.
Worth a visit.
Great little ground . Notts County Football Club is the oldest football club that is still playing.
The club has a great community spirit and embraces ladies' football. The ladies team won their league on Monday night. There is ample parking around the ground at reasonable prices. Nice area to buy food and drinks.
Prior to 1910, Notts County played their home games across the River Trent at Trent Bridge as a tenant of Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club. Cricket took priority on the ground and the football club were often forced to play early and late season fixtures at other venues to avoid a clash. The Football League eventually deemed that this practice was inappropriate and demanded that Notts either seek more favourable terms for the use of Trent Bridge or relocate to a new ground on which they could fulfil all of their fixtures.
In 1910, a plot of land near the cattle market on the opposite side of the River Trent was leased from the city council and a new stadium hastily erected. Part of the new stadium was a temporary stand from Trent Bridge which was literally floated across the river.
On 3 September 1910, County moved to Meadow Lane, the first game was a 1–1 draw with old rivals Nottingham Forest, played in front of 27,000 fans paying receipts of £775. In 1920 the landlord, Nottingham Corporation, which leased the land to the club, came very close to removing the club from its premises to make way for an abattoir. The stadium remained largely the same until 1923 when the Sneinton Side was replaced with a new stand, named the County Road Stand after the newly constructed road behind it.
Meadow Lane was bombed during World War II forcing the club to suspend all fixtures during the 1942 season. The northern side of the Main Stand was badly damaged and the pitch left in an unplayable condition.
The stadium has played host to Forest games on a number of occasions. After the war, when flooding from the River Trent left the City Ground in an unplayable condition and again in 1968 when the Main Stand at the City Ground was destroyed by fire in a game against Leeds United.
A new stadium During the 1970s and 80s the stadium became increasingly dilapidated. The Meadow Lane End was demolished in 1978 and replaced by a building which housed new dressing rooms, a social club and a variety of other facilities designed to generate more income. There was no stand at this end for several years and Meadow Lane was reduced to a three sided ground. Eventually a small terrace was installed on this side. The Bradford City stadium fire and Hillsborough disaster brought the safety of football stadia into the public gaze and eventually the Taylor Report required that football clubs modernise their grounds. Meadow Lane was subsequently redeveloped during the early 1990s, although the work was planned before the report was issued. The Meadow Lane End, County Road Stand and Spion Kop were all demolished in the 1992 close season and replaced with the Family Stand, the Jimmy Sirrel Stand and the Spion Kop Stand respectively. The Main Stand was replaced during the close season of 1994 by the Derek Pavis Stand.
In June 2002, as part of a sponsorship deal, the ground was briefly renamed the "Aaron Scargill Stadium". However, the ground reverted to its original name when the deal later fell through.