Quirky stadium. Really liked it. Old school. Obviously not changed in a long time but full of character. Friendly fans and still a very well supported club. Pay on the day available. Love the shape and size of the standing terrace behind the goal. Definitely a little gem in any groundhopper's tick list. Enjoyed the tidy win against Rushall Olympic 1-0.
Great atmosphere for the fa cup game. Very quick on the turnstiles, not sure what food and drink is like. Very easy to get out of after the game and parking is easy if you know where to park. All the stewards and volunteers are great. Floodlights need looking at though as half of them don't seem to want to work.
Took my children to the inflatable event on the bank holiday, wasn't too busy, well organised. Would of been nice to see the mascot :) the staff where friendly, very welcoming. The first aiders where brillant :) hopefully the inflatable event will be back on again in the future.
The site has been used as a stadium since the late 19th century, although the year in which it was opened has not been widely recorded. The stadium was originally owned by the Hereford Athletic Ground Company and was also used by amateur football side Hereford City. In those days the ground's official name was Edgar Street Athletic Stadium, there was a running track around the pitch which explains the curious curved "dead" areas behind each goal in front of the terraces. Even in the early days Hereford United struggled financially and the landlord obligingly reduced the rent to help the club. In 1931 the stadium was purchased by Hereford City Council for £3,000, and in 1952 United secured a lease on the stadium for the first time.
Although now showing its age, the ground's history does have some notable landmarks, such as the installation of floodlights in March 1953, before many large clubs. In 1974, following the most recent major development seen at Edgar Street, it was the only one outside the First Division with two cantilever-roof stands. At 76 yards (69 m) the ground had, until the advent of new stadia, one of the widest pitches in the Football League. The extreme width of the pitch was created when the old running track was turfed over.
Due to the club's financial crisis in 1997, the lease was handed over to developers. In 2000 an electronic scoreboard was put up at the Blackfriars Street End, using funds bequeathed to the club by a supporter.
On 19 February 2015, Herefordshire County Council rejected a proposal by Worcestershire-based Redditch United to play at Edgar Street. Later that same week, on 24 February, the council confirmed that Hereford FC, a phoenix club formed following Hereford United's demise, had been granted a lease allowing them to play at Edgar Street. The stadium's record attendance is 18,114 when Hereford United played against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1958–59FA Cup Third Round.
Hereford FC's record attendance for a home game at Edgar Street is 4,683, for a 1–0 win in the FA Vase semi-finals against Salisbury on 13 March 2016. It hosted Hereford FC's televised FA Cup Second Round Proper Replay against Fleetwood Town in December 2017.