Home of Cheshunt FC

Since 1949

Capacity 3,500

Rating: 4.3

(403) Google Reviews

The venue is constantly being updated and renovated. The pitches are astroturf and can be used in all weathers year round. There’s a lovely cafe on site and the ladies are so lovely. Not forgetting the pub and lounge area for those special events. It’s just a lovely way to spend a day.
28/1/23 First ever visit to Theobalds Lane for a Vanarama National League South match. Adult £12 (bought online £14 on the gate) Programme £3 Pin badge £3.50 Chips £1.50 (delicious). Cheshunt FC 1-1 Slough Town. Great first visit to Cheshunt. Very friendly volunteers and supporters. Stewards were first class as well. Spoke to you like you were more than welcome to be there. Will be more than happy to go back next year so I hope both teams can stay in the division. There’s a big car park so parking is not an issue. Two stands opposite each other have covered seating. Over 200 seats in each. Have to admit the one on the far side was quite a way from the pitch and the dugouts do get in the way. There are small covered terraces at either end behind the goals. Not all the Slough fans could fit. Other than that the rest of the ground is flat and open to the elements. Praise must go to the person playing the music at half-time. Great selection of Ska, The Jam and other 80’s music 😊👍. Look forward to revisiting.
profile image
a year ago
Great local club. Good facilities, nice bar, large car park
profile image
2 years ago
Took my dad to see all the improvements up at the club. He thought it was great he's in his 90's and has great memories of the club achievement in the 70's and 80's Mr williamson and his family has done a fantastic job improving g the ground. Shame there's no football at moment cant wait
profile image
3 years ago
Friendly staff, nice clubhouse, good choice of drink, very large pitch to play on, grass was a bit on the long side. Hospitality area small, but nice, all refurbished.

History (from Wikipedia)


The original Cheshunt Football Club played at the Recreation Ground on Albury Ride, a ground owned by Cheshunt Cricket Club.[2]

The modern club initially played at the Gothic sports ground, before moving to College Road for their second season.[2] In 1949 they moved to the Cheshunt Stadium on Theobalds Lane. Originally a gravel pit, by the 1930s the site had become the local rubbish tip, but between February and October 1949, it was cleared, levelled and a pitch was laid. Two Nissen huts were assembled, where the main gates are today, for changing rooms (with no power, telephone line or hot water), leaving the players with a long walk uphill to the pitch. The ground was opened on 29 October 1949, with the club recording their record home win (11–1 against Hastings United) in the ground's first fixture.

Drainage problems forced the club to abandon the stadium before the 1949–50 season had ended and move to a new ground on Brookfield Lane. However, they returned to the Cheshunt Stadium in 1952–53 but again left after a season, due to the poor playing surface, to return to Brookfield Lane though this time as the tenants of 
Tottenham Hotspur, who were using it as their training ground. At the end of the 1957–58 season Cheshunt were asked to leave and so returned to the Cheshunt Stadium. Chairman Les Noble and vice-chair Frank Davis moved quickly to secure a 21-year lease on the stadium (which was about to be used by a new club, Waltham Cross FC) and spent £2,500 getting bulldozers in to level space for the present stand and Clubhouse (then the changing rooms too) to be built and clearing the banking to make way for a running track around the pitch (which was removed in the 1980s).

The clubhouse and pitch were ready for the opening game of the 1957–58 season against 
Wingate. A year later the main stand was built by the groundsman Albert Prior, his son Maurice and chairman Frank Davis in their spare time. It held 400 spectators on bench seats and had a door in the centre to the changing rooms. A covered terrace was built on the other side of the pitch in 1963, although located 20 yards back from the pitch.[8] Floodlights came in 1964, the current function hall three years later. In 1977 the current changing rooms were built, enabling the conversion of the old changing rooms to the clubhouse. In 1982 proper seating was installed for the first time, with the oak seats in the directors box were taken from White Hart Lane's old west stand (which was being demolished) and the plywood seating to the north end of the stand was taken from the relatively new north-west corner of White Hart Lane.

In the 2002–03 season, the section of terracing south of the main stand was covered and named in honour of defender Kirtis Townsend who had died whilst travelling to an away game the previous season and seats originally from the East Stand at 
Stamford Bridge were installed on the covered terrace. The main stand, the Kirtis Townsend stand and the floodlights were all replaced in the summer of 2015. A new main stand seating 250 was built on the halfway line closer to the touchline while two small covered standing areas were positioned behind each goal.

Things to do nearby.