Superb Angus based football club, demonstrating that part-time status needn't have any bearing on how far a provincial football club with larger full-time sides in nearby cities can go in the senior leagues!
As for Gayfield Stadium. Competitively priced snacks and drinks kiosk, friendly turnstile staff and programme sellers. Clean and functional WCs - informed by a friend attending the same match excellent facilities for female fans - and a decent pitch of grass. As an away fan it was enjoyable to see most stewards had a sense of humour! Great pub nearby.
The home of Arbroath since 1880 (Renovated in 1925) Gayfield is predominantly standing its an old school ground with a lot of character which i like to see as there are not many of these type of grounds left.There are some seats available mind in the single-tiered Gayfield Main Stand opened in 2002 with approx 814 seats availabe and decent views of the action
Arbroath F.C. was formed in 1878 and played at Woodville Park and Hospitalfield before acquiring a former rubbish tip on the seafront to build Gayfield. The new ground was opened in 1880, with the first match being a Scottish Cup tie against Rob Roy. The original site was very cramped, with no room for spectators on the Dundee Road side; when Rangers lost to Arbroath in the Scottish Cup they protested that the pitch was too small, saying they had been "beaten on a back green", and won the replayed tie. In September 1885, Arbroath played Bon Accord in the Scottish Cup at Gayfield and won 36–0, which remains a British record score for a senior football match. Arbroath joined the Scottish Football League in 1921, with the first League match at Gayfield being against Johnstone. The club's plans to construct a "Greater Gayfield" led to the pitch being moved 60 yards, so that the original halfway line became the goal line and a stand could be constructed along Dundee Road. The new ground was opened on 29 August 1925 against East Fife. Gayfield's record attendance of 13,510 was set against Rangers in February 1952. Floodlights were first installed in 1955. The main stand had to be rebuilt following a fire in 1958. This stand was replaced in 2002 by the present main stand, which was extended in 2010.
Structure and facilities Gayfield is situated on the sea front, to the west of Arbroath harbour, on the southern edge of the town. Due to its position next to the North Sea, in winter spectators can be exposed to severe cold and winds. It is the closest football stadium in Europe to the sea. The ground has a capacity of 6,600. The only seating area is the single tier, covered, Gayfield Stand. The stand was opened in 2002 and seats 814 spectators. The stadium has standing terracing around the entire pitch with covered pleasureland stand (South End), the East Terrace and the bellrock buffet stand (North End). When segregation is required, the away support is allocated the pleasureland stand End and half of the East Terrace, but this can be reduced to just the pleasureland end if required. The pitch size is 115 by 71 yards (105 m × 65 m).