Home of Hartlepool United FC

Opened 1886

Capacity 7,856

Choose a location
Victoria Park

Rating: 4.2

(289) Google Reviews

Went to pick some tickets up very quickly sorted by the staff. Fantastic girls
profile image
a month ago
Top league 2 club.
profile image
4 weeks ago
Hartlepool United are, without doubt, the greatest football team on the planet. Win or lose, great times are to be had as the balmy breeze from the north sea washes over the beautiful crowd as they sing their hearts out in praise of the mighty Pools. No monkeys were harmed during the writing of this review.
profile image
a year ago
hartlepool are the best team ever. This team can win against anyone. would recommend to HUFC fans
A decent ground overall Certainly good enough for league standard but unfortunatley the club has fallen on hard times in recent years and finds itself in the National league .The ground has improved greatly over the years with the contruction of two new stands the Cyril Knowles Stand which is smart single tierd stand raised above ground level .The other side is the Caneron Brewery stand which has covered seating to the rear and an open terace at the front overall its a decent stay out here Sky Sports presenter Jeff Stelling i big fan off Hartlepool
profile image
9 months ago

History (from Wikipedia)

The land on which Victoria Park stands was originally a limestone quarry owned by the North-Eastern Railway Company. In 1886, the land was bought by West Hartlepool Rugby Football Club for the development of a new rugby ground. The ground was then named the Victoria Ground in celebration of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. In 1908, West Hartlepool R.F.C. went bust, leaving The Victoria Ground vacant. Shortly afterwards, the ground was registered under the name of "The Hartlepools United Football Athletic Company Limited", a football team representing both the town of West Hartlepool and the original settlement of Old Hartlepool. This football team developed into Hartlepool United. From 1908 to 1910, Hartlepools United shared their ground with the amateurs of West Hartlepool until the club broke up leaving Hartlepools United as the sole occupiers of the ground. In 1916, the ground was bombed by a German Zeppelin, destroying the main stand on Clarence Road. A small, wooden stand was built as a temporary measure with the intent to replace it with a larger, more permanent structure once funds allowed. After the war, Hartlepool tried to claim compensation from the German government in order to fund the new stand. However these attempts failed and the temporary stand was eventually demolished in the late 1980s due to fire regulations being tightened as a result of the Bradford City fire. A number of portable cabins were put on the site of the Clarence Road stand containing dressing rooms, offices and a small number of seats until the Cyril Knowles Stand was built in 1995.

Chesterfield F.C. installed their floodlights in 1967, it left Hartlepool United as the only Football League club not to have floodlights.[2]

The Cyril Knowles Stand was named after the former 
Tottenham Hotspur defender who managed Hartlepool from January 1990 until June 1991. He had built side that won promotion from the Fourth Division in the 1990–91 season, but had to hand over managerial duties to coach Alan Murray in February 1991 due to brain cancer. Knowles retired in June 1991 after his declining health meant that he was no longer well enough to manage the club and died two months later at the age of 47.

In 1986, 
Middlesbrough faced with liquidation were locked out of their ground, Ayresome Park, and the authorities had granted Middlesbrough continued League status on the proviso that they could fulfil their first fixture of the season.[3] On the day of their first game, two games were played at the ground with Hartlepool playing their game at an earlier kick-off. 3,690 Middlesbrough supporters made the short journey to Hartlepool to see them draw 2–2 against Port Vale.[4]

In 1998, 
West Hartlepool R.F.C. were allowed to once again share the ground, signing an agreement that was to run until 2001, and brought a number of executive boxes with them from their previous ground, Brierton Lane. These boxes were added to the rear of the Cyril Knowles stand. West Hartlepool R.F.C. moved out in 1999. In 1996, the ground was renamed Victoria Park to reflect the large number of improvements that had been made to the infrastructure and facilities. Among the improvements were two new stands (the Cyril Knowles Stand and the Town End), new dressing rooms and offices in the old Clock Garages building to the northeast of the ground and major work on the condition of the pitch. Since 2003, groundsman Dave Brown has received an annual nomination for Groundsman of the Year awards due to the excellent state of the pitch.[5] In 2006, Hartlepool made a bid to buy the lease of the land that the ground is on.[6] However, Hartlepool Borough Council rejected this proposal claiming that accepting the offer would be premature in light of recent development in the area around Victoria Park.[7]

The ground has been relatively free from crowd trouble. However, when matches were played against local rivals 
Darlington, there was some. One of the most notorious incidents of crowd trouble came in 2000 during Hartlepool's play-off match against Darlington. Darlington manager Dave Hodgson was struck with a coin and Marco Gabbiadini was reportedly punched by a fan after the match.[8] There have also been some Health and Safety issues regarding fans refusing to sit in the seating areas. This has forced the club to employ strict ground regulations.[9]

In 1957, the ground attracted its record attendance of 17,264 for a 3rd Round FA Cup Game against a 
Manchester United team managed by Matt Busby, which Hartlepool narrowly lost 4–3.[10] This was regarded by Busby in his biography as being one of the most exciting matches he had ever witnessed. Manchester United later returned later to Victoria Park for a heavily attended friendly, only to lose 6–2. Hartlepool played three Premier League sides in cup competitions at Victoria Park in 2008–09, two of whom, West Bromwich Albion and Stoke City, were beaten by Hartlepool. Their fourth-round tie against West Ham United was televised live on ITV and attracted over 500 million viewers worldwide, Hartlepool losing 2–0 in front of a crowd of 6,849.[11]

After a successful season ticket campaign at the start of the 2011–12 season, which saw the club sell over 5,000 season tickets,
[12] Hartlepool had the highest percentage of their ground full in their division.

In the latter half of the 2012–13 season, 
Gateshead played home games at Victoria Park after drainage problems at Gateshead International Stadium.[13]

Middlesbrough U21s began to play their home games at Victoria Park in the 2013–14 season.[14]

Following the tragic death of former 
Hartlepool United manager Neale Cooper in 2018, the Club decided to rename from the Cameron's Brewery Stand to the Neale Cooper Stand.