The stadium, on the site of what was the Berkeley Hunt kennels, was built by the Cheltenham Original Brewery in 1927 and has been the home of Cheltenham Town since 1932, although it did not host senior football for 67 years. Cheltenham marked their 70th anniversary at the stadium by winning promotion to the Football League Second Division, the third tier of English football, for the first time. The record attendance is 8,326, at a game versus Reading, FA Cup 1st Round, 17 November 1956. Whaddon Road was the smallest League One stadium in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 season.
Hazlewoods Stand (Whaddon Road) - capacity 1,100. An all-seated stand behind one of the goals, initially named the Carlsberg Stand, it was opened in 2005 and is designated for away fans. For the 2009-10 season it was given to home supporters, but after one season it was returned to away fans.
Colin Farmer Stand (Wymans Road) - capacity 2,034. An all-seated stand that runs down one side of the pitch. The stand was opened in November 2001 and is home to the vocal "1887 Red Army" supporters, who are situated in block 7, as well as the Family Section in Block 1. For big games, two sections of the stand are given to away supporters. It was renamed the Colin Farmer Stand at the beginning of the 2016-17 season, in memory of Colin Farmer, a club legend.
Speedy Skips Stand (Prestbury Road End) - capacity about 2,100. Given a roof in 2000-01, this is now a covered terrace and is the home standing end.
Autovillage Stand (Main Stand) - capacity about 1,800. Built in 1963, it is a mixture of terracing (Tunnel and Paddock enclosures) at the front and seating at the back. The Main Stand runs down one side of the pitch, but is unusual in that it does not stretch the full length of the touchline and does not reach either corner flag. It contains the players dressing rooms, and hospitality, directors' and press boxes.